The Duke of Edinburgh is not expected to be prosecuted over the collision near Sandringham last month, when his Land Rover hit another vehicle, according to reports. The 97-year-old has voluntarily surrendered his driving licence but witnesses fears a “deal” has been done. Victoria Warne, who was first on the scene of the crash, told The Sun the police officer who took her statement said anything related to the crash was in an inspector’s office for security reasons.
She said: “That doesn’t sound like normal treatment, purely because of the fact it is a Royal – which I don’t think is fair at all.”
Buckingham Palace confirmed the Duke was voluntarily surrendering his license after “careful consideration”.
He is believed to have been persuaded by The Queen after a “reflective discussion.”
A senior Palace source told the Sunday Mirror the Queen “is the only person Philip ever listens to, and on this occasion that is very true”.
The accident happened on January 17 when Philip pulled out on to a busy road and collided with a Kia.
The smaller car was driven by 28-year-old Ellie Townsend and her nine-month-old son.
They were unharmed but passenger Emma Fairweather, 46, broke her wrist.
The mum of two has said: “He’s making the most sensible decision he can.
“It’s a shame he didn’t make it a bit sooner but it’s the right thing to do. Undoubtedly the roads will be safer now.
“It won’t have been easy for him to make as it is a loss of independence. But he can work around it.”
A file has been handed to prosecutors who are now weighing up whether to bring a case against the Duke.
A CPS spokesperson said: “We review each file carefully before a decision is made and will take this development into account.”